UMSIZI SUPPORts african-LED organizations
Umsizi is committed to supporting African-led development organizations with strong local management teams. Our partners have demonstrated the ability to:
- Develop entrepreneurial leaders with strong managerial skills
- Provide pivotal career opportunities and experiences to staff and beneficiaries
- Invest deeply in local capabilities
- Understand that leadership development is an ongoing process
- Iterate on their approaches continuously to achieve impact
Our Big Bet: helping African Leadership Academy develop managerial & entrepreneurial leadership talenT
Umsizi Fund has been actively engaged in the growth of the African Leadership Academy since its inception and continues to guide ALA’s founders as they develop and advance their vision.
In addition to providing grant support, for nearly ten years Umsizi has partnered with ALA in the following ways:
- Serving as members of the Global Advisory Council, African Leadership Foundation Board and the US Advisory Council
- Serving as strategic advisors to ALA leadership team
- Broadening ALA's network to include new partners and donors
- Building new elements of the ALA operation, including University support and the Africa Careers Network
Africa’s greatest need is ethical and entrepreneurial leadership. African Leadership Academy’s mission is to enable lasting peace and prosperity in Africa by developing and connecting the continent’s future leaders. Through creation of a powerful network of over 6,000 leaders, ALA seeks to transform Africa as these leaders work together to address Africa’s greatest challenges, achieve extraordinary social impact, and accelerate the continent’s growth trajectory.
ALA identifies young student leaders between the ages of 16 and 19 from across the African continent who possess leadership potential, a passion for Africa, an entrepreneurial spirit and a track record of community service. These talented students then attend ALA's two-year pre-university program based on the Cambridge A Levels and ALA's unique curricula in Entrepreneurial Leadership and African Studies. After secondary school graduation, ALA continues to cultivate these alumni leaders throughout their lives, in university and beyond, supporting their growth through access to internships and careers and connecting them to high-impact networks of people and capital that will empower them to create transformative change.
Today, 1,000 young African leaders from more than 45 countries are in the ALA network and benefit from ALA's transformational leadership development programs (includes 735 ALA students and graduates, Anzisha prize winners and selected MasterCard Foundation scholars).